Back-to-Back Weekends w/ Denver Parks and Recreation Beautify Denver
Two weekends in a row, Secular Hub volunteers ventured out into Denver to make our city a better place. First, we planted trees on Arbor Day, erecting more than 10 in total. We followed that with a clean-up at Habitat Park, near the Platte River. Divine inspiration couldn’t have produced better days.
Continuing the momentum from these events, the Hub has adopted a stretch of Downing Street as part of the Adopt-A-Spot program. Bi-monthly, we’ll put out a call for volunteers to help clean up. Our environment, after all, can infiltrate our self-perceptions. And we want it to have a positive influence in our community.
While we’ll put out calls before each event, we would also like to recruit a core team that we can count on to help regularly with the effort. If that sounds like you, Contact Us
to let us know. Thanks for your support!
Save The Date!
10/04: Volunteering: HistoriCorps Elitch Gardens Theatre Restoration
10/05: Fundraiser: Community Service Committee Pancake Breakfast (tentative)
Community Service Committee Pancake Breakfast
The Community Service team hosted August’s Pancake Breakfast to help a Hub member in need. Thanks to your generous donations, we raised over $800 to help Wes pay the bills for his cancer treatment. Wes was grateful, leaving a note on the Hub’s Facebook page thanking all who came to show support:
The first month of each quarter (January, April, July, and October), come join us for the Community Service Committee’s 2nd Sunday Pancake Breakfast! If you’re interested in giving back, this will be an excellent time to stop in for a visit. We’ll speak to some great opportunities to make a difference and would love to hear your thoughts, as well.
Community Service and Altruism at the Hub
- Provide service opportunities for the secular community
- Provide financial and/or volunteer assistance to worthy causes, particularly those that support common secular values
- Provide assistance to community members in need
- Change perceptions of believers about the members of the secular community
Learn more about how you can get involved
- Sponsor 1 community service event per month.
- Sponsor (at most) 1 fundraiser per month, led by a member of the Hub who is not on the committee.
- Vet 2 member-sponsored charitable causes per month; preferably 1 local and 1 international.
- Identify and help 1 community member in need of assistance each month.
Community Service and Altruism Portfolio
Platte River Spring Cleanup
2014 Arbor Day Tree Planting